Sunday, January 10, 2010

My first game, to the roots of it all.


Waking up this morning, I had figured on another boring day of class work when I arose from bed late. I slowly made my way out to the living room, flipped on the television and changed the channel to NHL Network to see the game highlights. I went about my morning web check making my way to On Frozen Blog after a bit. Immediately, I knew where I was going for the day. The canal had frozen over just outside of DC! 'Pond Hockey' was on!


I had to stop off and give my wife some lunch, but once I was done there, I hit the loop, jumped off at Cabin John and parked along the side of the road with everyone else who was coming out for the day. After grabbing my stick, skates and puck, the smile didn't leave my face the rest of the day.

People were all over the place, playing pickup hockey, skating alone, walking about. Some had their kids, some had their dogs, entire families made their way down as well. I followed a trail down around an old building next to the canal and found a spot to get down to the ice. Changed my shoes for my skates, dropped the puck, and started skating.


Much of the ice was already cleared of snow, so I found a spot I could get a little space and started getting used to puck handling. Have I mentioned I've never played a single game of ice hockey? This was the first time I'd ever handled a puck on ice with a hockey stick.


After a bit an older guy came by around the area I was getting my bearings and started clearing some of the accumulated snow from one side. I asked if he was up for a small scrimmage, and after agreeing to play, he and his two little guys split off to play for either side. We played for a bit before another guy came by asking to join in. Eventually the new comer had to head off, upon which we decided to join together with a group adjacent to us. Throwing our sticks in, a kid from BC went about separating them for for teams. It ended up being 4 on 5, so we on the short end went to dividing up our sections of ice to play. We settled on a rough diamond with someone staying back for goal tending work.

The game went smooth enough, with both sides scoring occasionally, most of us busting our ass a few times, and a few really fun break away goals. I made an effort to play against the best guy on their team, the kid from BC, as often as I could. He wasn't from their hockey team, but he plays intermural up there. It was a great way to test myself and my ability to skate. For my first game, I'd like to think I did alright! There was no count of the goals, I'm really not even certain who 'won' by the time we packed it up. I shook everyone's hands and made my way off, but before I left as asked BC to take a quick pic on my Blackberry for posterity.


If you haven't been down there, or have never played outdoor pickup with some random folks, I highly suggest you do. This is one experience that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

4 comments:

  1. Great photos! Glad you were able to get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it still frozen? I'd love to go out Wednesday AM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DC, Thanks for the photo compliment, I was a bit weary about them as they did seem a bit TOO blue, but with the light in that area, it only adds to the atmosphere! I'm hoping to get some more time out there should we be lucky enough for another cold week.

    Neil, I'm honestly not too sure if it's still frozen over. I would suspect it will be close to the same conditions still by Wednesday morning. I'd be sure to check the ice thoroughly though as it's supposed to be a bit warmer out all this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful place and a wonderful day. You make it come to life!

    ReplyDelete