Monday, February 8, 2010

First Stick Time

Is there really anything else you would rather do after a night of drinking than wake up early and hit the ice? Sleeping in was really not an option this morning as I finally had enough gear to get out to Rockville Ice Arena for their Pick Up at 1230. With my new gloves, a shoddy rollerblading helmet and my slightly too short stick I made my way in.

It started off slow enough, just a few people trickling in at a time as the ice opened. I just skated about for a bit, getting my legs back as it's been a while since I'd strapped on the skates. As the nets were put in place, the pucks came out, and I started to chip some pucks down range.

I quickly began to realize just how far from competent I really am! In fact, it would probably be easier to list the things I am capable of, rather than to list those I'm not. But where's the fun in that?

I can't stop to my left yet. I can't get a solid slap shot off. I can hardly get a good wrist shot off! And backhanding? Yeah, that usually ends with the puck careening away from me in an undesired direction... Passing isn't a strong point, neither is my pass receiving (see: lack of). I think you get the idea here. I'm not competent at pretty much anything. But man, is hockey a blast even when you're terrible!

The groups split up eventually between the lil dudes and the big guys, with a few of the dads corralling the kiddos on the far end, the other end broke off into teams based on jersey colors. We had 1-2 sub-ins per side and got to it. I played the pucks as well as I could, trying to stay focused on placement, but with a lack of passing ability and receiving ability, it's hard to make the play when it's needed. I did get a few quick goals in close though playing close to the left side of the net looking for rebounds when the play was away from me. I also took a few pucks to the body because I played the center a lot for defense as well. With one wrister getting me good just low of the ribs, leaving a nice puck shaped welt as evidence of my blocked shot.

My back is killing me, my calves hurt, and there are spots on my body that have never hurt as much as they do today. I've never been happier to be in as much pain. Maybe a few more pads and a lot more practice and I won't feel as rough, but that's a minor concern. The biggest issue on my plate at the moment: When can I go again?! See you on the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment