Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hockey Wire Sculpts and A Neat Surprise


For my 3D Design course final, we are required to put together three sculptures of similar size and shape but differing materials. I was slightly stressed over just what I was going to put together since learning about it. Then out of the blue, I remembered that I already had two wire sculpts that I had done on the side, my Hockey Players!

So today, I took a bit of time out of my morning to head out to Home Depot and finally pick up the proper wire, from the concrete section and get to work on the last of the family. I also picked up a can of metallic spray paint to give my final sculpt a different finish, this time in gold. Overall the idea worked, three similar styled sculptures with three varied finishes. Similar aesthetic with a different feel to each.

The best part is that I now have the proper wire to make more and will likely see about putting these up for folks to order who'd like a unique, fun, but great looking decoration. I've also had a friend point out that he'd love to see one 6 foot tall in bronze outside an arena somewhere someday, and I'm inclined to agree with him. I could easily see something like this outside of Verizon in the future. I wonder who I would have to approach for a project like that :)...

Speaking of people I'd have to approach, after my sculpt was finished, I made my way lazily through the hockey blogs this afternoon and to my surprise, Ted Leonsis, owner of the Capitals, had linked my little corner of the hockey blogosphere. It's always fun to see something like that. Oh and Ted, if you're reading now, see my ideas in the paragraph above!

Hitting the ice tomorrow at Kettler for Open Hockey at 1130-1300, hope to see ya there, I'll be in red as always ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment