Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Playoff Dissappointment and Wounded Warriors

It's only my second playoffs following the Caps. Unfortunately it's no easier to deal with their loss, in fact, it's likely worse for us this year having followed the Caps through nearly every game of the season. I wouldn't have ever believed the team would be taken to task so hard so early. The Habs played a hell of a defensive shut down at times and Halak was ridiculous on far too many shots for my liking...

So now what? Well, there's the rest of the playoffs, but very little stock in who wins. I have some hope that the Sharks will get through to win it out, mostly so my friend PJ will finally be satiated and I won't have to listen about their consecutive failures. Only now, he'll have to listen to my own wailing next year.

The quarter finals are all interesting with any game having the ability to swing to either team in an instant. I just wish I had another team I cared about even a fraction of how I felt about the Caps this year. But I don't. The Caps have ruined me for any other team!

I'll be watching for news and hope to see some of the World Championships in Germany. I don't know much of the rosters yet, but Russia has Ovi, Semin, and Varlamov in house now. Though apparently Varly is running around in flip flops after the airline lost his bags and gear!

On my own personal hockey front, I've contacted someone to see about helping with/becoming a part of the Wounded Warriors hockey efforts here in Maryland. I'm not 100% certain the person I contacted was indeed who I should, but at the very least, I hope they would have contact info for those who are indeed in charge of it.

I served in the Army from July 2001 to Jan 2007 and spent a year tour in Iraq where I was wounded, luckily just a flesh wound that didn't nick anything important. For a while now I've wanted to do something with those who were wounded far worse than myself, and a few months ago I heard about the Veterans taking the ice through Ted Leonsis' blog. Hopefully I hear something back and get a chance to do something for a fellow vet.

Hope to see some ice sometime this week at Kettler. Legs need a bit of a work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment