Monday, January 4, 2010

Practice, Practice, Practice

Washington Capitals Practice 12-4-09
Kettler Capitals Iceplex


With my last day before classes start for me, I decided to take a gamble and head down to Arlington and see if the Caps would be practicing today. There was no announcement by their twitter account or an update to Caps Today, their near daily talking points update and injury list, but with a game tomorrow, and knowing the regular practice time, I woke up early and headed out, skates in hand.

I really enjoy getting a chance to watch practices. Part of it is, of course, just being a fan of the team, but then there is the part that is all about gleaning tips and drills from the pros. One of the biggest things I've learned from watching, you can only do so much practicing alone! Much of the drill work revolves around passing drills and zone work, and while you can do the skating for these alone, you just don't get the full effect without all of the puck handling and passing involved in running them.

So what's the moral of the story? Get a team. Practice with your team. And get better on an exponential level compared to trying to do it all alone. Even just the little scrimmages between the forwards and the defensemen are going to be 100% more effective than any single skating drill I could pick up.

I need a team. I can't wait to find one.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely!

    Learning from both observing really talented players and picking up the little things they do (and why!) and also from experience by doing (in drills/scrimmages etc) is the quickest way to develop as a player of any sport.

    ReplyDelete